The next stage in my life adventure will begin on the 7th of April in Shanghai. I’ve just gotta get me and my little black cat there safe before.Stay tuned for more updates.
I’ve uploaded a number of HDRI probes I created when a student for use compositing some stuff, they all work well. See if you guys can find a new use for them 🙂
You can get them on my wiki here:
Just a quick little photoshoppy I did when bored.
Like a lot of coders I regularly issue various patches and tweaks to my software, plug-ins etc, however most of the time most of the users are using legacy versions lacking features or even containing shit loads of bugs (as if).
To solve this problem I decided to write a generic auto update framework that sits inside of Maya, when integrated into your plug-in the framework will check a XML file online and assess if you are currently running the latest version and if not display a window containing all the documented changes (also contained within the XML file). The user is then able to decide if they would like to download it, which can also be done from inside of Maya. I’ve uploaded some screenshots below.
There are a few little quirks to be worked out before I release it properly and I haven’t tested it on both Windows and Linux yet, after all of that is done I shall be integrating it into all of my other Maya plug-ins/tools.
Update: Fully tested on other platforms and works properly.
While developing a number of Maya plugins at uni it became a bit of a pain to organise all of my code according to changes and various working versions that existed (I was developing about 7 plug-ins/scripts at once) so I implemented SVN (which I can’t be bothered to explain here). I’m still using SVN and I’ve decided to open up the code trees as some versions of the code that exists on the servers are of slightly higher builds than exist on highend3d.com (now creativecrash.com) or the file page of my site. Because I’m a strong avociate of the Open Source model these repositories are open for anyone that wishes to browse them, the links are below.
Render Calculator (iPhone app) – http://svn.xp-dev.com/svn/renderCalculator/
Kuler Colours (Maya Plugin) – http://svn.xp-dev.com/svn/kulerColour/
.chan File Exporter (Maya Plugin) – http://svn2.xp-dev.com/svn/debugdom-chanFileExport/
Audio Amplitude Extractor (Maya Plugin) – http://svn.xp-dev.com/svn/mAudioAmplitudeExtractor/
nAudio Amplitude Extractor (native Nuke plugin) – http://svn.xp-dev.com/svn/nAudioAmplitudeExtractor/ – (note this is an xcode project and isn’t nearly finished so expect constant revision).
Murtle the Maya Turtle (Maya script) – http://svn.xp-dev.com/svn/murtle/
I shall also include the links to the SVNs on the files page. There are various other scripts/plug-ins I developed during my studies that I’ll upload to the SVN when I get a chance, they might be useful to someone I guess 🙂
I’ve been planning on sticking some kind of gallery on the front page of this site but I’ve yet to get around to it so for now I’m just going to stick some random shots that I found lurking around my hard disk on here.
Despite not being able to test it on an iPhone yet (I’m unable to fork the cash for the apple developer license) I’m releasing the code of my first iPhone app, its pretty fucking simple but I’ve learnt a lot about Obj-C and cocoa so my next project will be a little more graphical (I’ve several ideas that I’m going to start fleshing out later).
Here are a couple of screenshots 🙂 I say couple because in reality there are only two screen in this app:
There are a couple of outstanding small issues with some aspects of the app (as always) but I’m planning on maintaining this and updating it as I learn more.
Heres the code.
After sulking for a couple of weeks I finally dragged myself from bed for long enough to fetch the netbook and start learning Objective-C (The iPhone/OSX primary programming language).
I could sit here and whine about some of the ways that Obj-C handles method arguments and how it forces almost preposterous length method names through arguments but I’m not going to 🙂 Overall my experience was Obj-C was pretty painless, I could get used to it.